The following frequently asked questions have been developed to help users orient themselves with the new Student Information Systems (SIS) SharePoint site.
Please note: SharePoint online is supported on Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Apple Safari, Internet Explorer, and Microsoft Edge.
What is SharePoint?
SharePoint is a cloud-based shared service that is part of the Microsoft Office 365 suite. It provides a secure place to store, organize, share and access information from almost any device and all major web browsers. For more information, consult the SharePoint Support Centre.
How do I get access to the SIS SharePoint site?
- Any Staff/Faculty at the University of Toronto and the Federated Colleges will automatically have access to the SIS SharePoint site with their UTORid.
- UTemp users do not automatically have access to the SIS SharePoint site. They will need to submit an access request through Enterprise Service Centre (ESC), providing the reason why they need access to the SIS SharePoint site.
How do I sign in to SharePoint?
You don’t need to install any software to use SharePoint. Instead, just connect through your web browser. Sign in to your work account with your UTORid and password at https://utoronto.sharepoint.com/sites/its-easi-sis/
How do I use the SIS SharePoint site?
You will use SharePoint the same way you used the SIS website. You can navigate through the SharePoint site using the top menu or click any links available on each page. You can also enter keywords in the Search bar at the top of each page.
Why is the SIS website migrating to a SharePoint site?
- Sensitive information will be more secure.
- Will allow more information to be available to ROSI users than on a public site.
- Will help users to find information more quickly by using Microsoft Search.
- Will provide a more user-friendly, accessible experience.
- Will make it easier to transmit data, track information, manage documents, and work on group projects.
- Will be available on mobile App and built-in responsive platform.
- Will include built-in accessibility features.
- Will provide a consistent user experience with other EASI groups.
- Will integrate Enterprise Service Centre (ESC) for technical support and knowledge base articles.
- Will not require software or infrastructure to maintain or upgrade.
Why is the SharePoint site more secure than the current website?
- It uses restriction access with login credentials.
- It will be available to Staff and Faculty only (including the Federated institutions).
- It is hosted by Microsoft, which uses a PowerShell console that requires two-factor authentication, unlike public platforms (Google, WordPress).
What is Microsoft Search?
Microsoft Search is the search bar located at the very top of your SharePoint site page, saying “Search this site.” It uses keywords to find pages, files, names, titles and full text from the entire SharePoint site.
How do I use Microsoft Search?
Simply type your keywords into the search bar. Suggestions will automatically come up and you can click on them or hit “Show more results.” It will open a page with all the results found for your keywords. You can filter the results by date using “Filters” in the upper-right corner or by “Files”, “Sites” or “News” in the top left.
What are the accessibility features?
- Keyboard shortcuts: you can use the browser’s keyboard shortcuts. For example, to move forward through the links and other elements on any web page, including pages created using SharePoint Online, press the Tab key, or to move back, press Shift+Tab.
In addition, SharePoint Online has its own keyboard shortcuts. When you are working in SharePoint Online, just press the question mark (?) at any time to open a list of the shortcuts in a separate window. You can also go to Keyboard shortcuts in SharePoint Online.
- Find navigation options: Many pages include three hidden links in the upper-left corner of the page. To access these links, place your cursor in the browser address bar (or press F6) and press the Tab key until you see the tooltips for each link or you hear the audible feedback (the name of the link) from your screen reader:
Skip ribbon commands. To go to the first link in the navigation pane for the page, press Enter.
Skip to main content. To go to the main content on the page, press Enter.
Turn off animations. To turn animations on or off in any videos or graphics on the page, press Enter.
How do I use SharePoint on my mobile device?
You can use your device to view information on sites, collaborate with colleagues, access shared documents, and stay connected with your work using your mobile device. You can download and use the SharePoint mobile apps to connect to your SharePoint site, rather than your browser. For more information, see Set up your mobile apps for SharePoint.
Where do I find eToken support?
You can find eToken support on the EASI eToken page.
Where do I find VPN support?
You can find VPN support on the EASI AdminsysVPN page.
Where is Rocket Shuttle located now?
Under “Applications & Services” from top menu, then go to “Reports”
Are there any supports available on the changes?
We will organize a Connect+Learn Orientation before the launch date. The session will be recorded and posted within 24 hours, and we will also share the presentation slide deck.
You can also view an article about the Remodeled Student Information Systems Website.
Who do I contact if I have more questions?
Questions about our new site or content? Submit a ticket in the Enterprise Service Centre (ESC).
If this has prompted questions about SharePoint more generally, please consult the SharePoint Support Centre or submit an ESC ticket to them via the Get Help form (select End User Computing > Microsoft Office 365 Applications > SharePoint Online).