Kevin O’Leary might not be there to offer words of wisdom, but U of T’s own dragons will choose the winner of the Data Dragons Competition – an event where brave competitors will pitch their data science and business intelligence ideas to a panel of judges.
Join Enterprise Applications & Solutions Integration (ITS) and Planning & Budget on July 5 as six staff and faculty take centre stage and try to convince the dragons that their ideas should become reality. The winning pitch will become a sponsored project.
“This competition is an opportunity for the outstanding analysts in our community to turn data assets into information that will make the U of T experience even better for our students, faculty, and staff,” says Trevor Rodgers, assistant vice president of Planning & Budget and one of the dragons.
U of T is quickly becoming a leader in business intelligence, which is the process of analyzing and visualizing data to make fact-based decisions. In addition to the competition, staff can tap into the power of business intelligence through the Institutional Data Hub – a rich repository of data relating to teaching, research and service activities.
Here are the top five reasons why you should attend:
- Learn something new beyond your specific field of interest, including data visualization, predictive analytics, machine learning and data management.
- Gain motivation from the presentations to implement a business intelligence solution in your area, and brainstorm ideas for the next competition.
- Meet new people with similar interests, or potential collaborators for your next project.
- Stay relevant with the latest technology and data trends and stay up to date with your peers and industry trends.
- Learn from presentations, including how to withstand the pressure of the powerful Dragons!
The Data Dragons Panel:
Judith Chadwick – Assistant Vice-President, Research Services
Cathy Eberts – Executive Director, Enterprise Applications and Solutions Integration
Heather Kelly – Senior Director, Student Success
Richard Levin – Executive Director, Enrolment Services and University Registrar
Susan McCahan – Vice-Provost, Innovations in Undergraduate Education and Vice-President, Academic Programs
Trevor Rodgers – Assistant Vice-President, Planning & Budget
Andrea Armstrong – Senior Policy Advisor, Enrolment Services
Anita Chooraman & Paul Nakonechny – HR Assistant & HR Advisor, HR Strategic Initiatives
Dr. Mahan Kulasegaram – Assistant Professor, Department of Family and Community Medicine
Joseph Peter McNamara – UTSC: Office of Business, Operations & Strategic Affairs
Mari Motrich – UTSC: Office of the Registrar
July 5, 2018
9 – 11:30 a.m.
Governing Council Chamber (Room 214)
27 King’s College Circle
University of Toronto